Naan khatais are eggless Indian shortbread style cookies.They are rich, buttery and crispy that can be made for evening snack with a cup of tea.
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter –at room temperature
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour (Maida)
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg Powder
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine powdered sugar (little at a time) with the softened butter until mixture is light and creamy.
- Add Nutmeg Powder and Cardamom Powder and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift All Purpose Flour with Baking Powder and Salt.
- Combine Flour mixture (little at a time) with Butter Mixture to form a soft dough.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Knead dough once again and divide into 12 equal portions.
- Roll each portion into a smooth ball with no cracks and place on a cookie sheet lined with wax/parchment paper or lightly greased foil. Leave ample space between dough balls.
- Bake on the middle rack for 22-25 minutes.Do keep a close eye as nan khatai should remain white.
- Remove from oven and let the nan khatai cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely before eating.
- Store in an air tight container at room temperature.