Kabsa is an exotic Saudi Arabia rice dish made by combining rice and meat (chicken, lamb, camel, beef) and served with handful of nuts on top.
Chicken Kabsa is a very unique Arabian delicacy with full of traditional Arabic flavors. This dish reminds me of my childhood spent in Saudi Arabia and is my all time favorite food.
Make sure you try this wonderful recipe.
- 4 cups Basmati Rice
- 1/2 kg Whole Chicken pieces
- 1 Onion
- Few Nuts-Almonds,Cashews and Raisins
- 2 Carrots-shredded
- 1 tbsp Ghee or clarified butter
- 2 Black cloves
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 2 Cardamom pods
- 1 Maggie Chicken stock cube
- 1 tbsp Ginger and garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup Tomato puree or tomato paste
- Coriander and Mint leaves-finely chopped
- In a separate pan on medium heat,add a bit of ghee and add the nuts and brown them one by one.Once brown put it on tissue paper. Also roast the shredded carrots.Keep them aside.
- Wash and soak rice for about half an hour.
- Meanwhile in a cooking saucepan, add 1 1/2 tbsp of oil and 1 tbsp clarified butter or pure ghee. Add sliced onions, black cloves, slit cardamoms and cinnamon sticks.Add the maggie cube. Stir for 15 seconds and add ginger and garlic paste and stir for few seconds. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt.
- Mix well and add chicken pieces. Stir fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add chopped mint leaves, chopped coriander and add tomato puree. Stir fry for 30 seconds and add 1 litre of water.
- Add 1/2 tsp of spices or garam masala powder to enhance the taste. Close the lid and cook on low flame for about 20 mins, till the chicken pieces get tender. After 20 minutes, take out the chicken pieces and keep them aside.
- Into the same boiling water (in which we have cooked chicken pieces), add soaked and drained rice. Close the lid and cook till the water dries up completely and rice gets tender. Switch off the flame and keep the lid closed for about 5 minutes.
- Into a flat bottomed pan, add 2 tbsp of oil. When the oil is hot, add cooked chicken pieces and close the lid. Semi fry on both sides while keeping the lid closed.
- Cook till the chicken pieces get very tender and crispy.
- Chicken kabsa is ready to be dished out in a separate bowl.Serve rice first,then chicken on top and then garnish with roasted almonds, cashews,raisins and carrots on top.