Chicken Korma or Murgh Korma is one of the most popular mughai dishes, enjoyed with naan or bagara khana(rice) and mostly served at get together parties.
- 1 kg Chicken (Medium sized pieces)
- 1 1/2 cup Yogurt
- 1 cup Sliced dry coconut
- 1 cup Peanuts
- 3 Onions (Medium sized) chopped- (2 onions for making the masala & one for making the curry)
- 1-2 Potatoes-cubed (optional)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ginger and Garlic Paste
- 2 tsp Salt
- 3 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Spices or Garam Masala powder
- 1 bunch Coriander and Mint Leaves-chopped
- 5 Green Chillies
- 4 tsp Cooking oil
- Dry roast slices of dry coconut till they turn brown.Next add peanuts and roast.Peel the peanuts when still hot.
- Add 1/4 tsp of cooking oil and saute 2 chopped onions.
- Now we are ready with roasted coconut, peanuts and sauted onions. Mix them and grind into a very fine paste.
- Now in a cooking saucepan add oil and when it is hot, add one chopped onion which we kept aside for cooking this curry. Stir till it turns brown and now add ginger and garlic paste and cook till the raw smell disappear.
- Next add turmeric powder and then salt. Stir and then add the grinded paste of coconut, peanuts and onions.And then add yogurt.
- Keep on stirring as this paste have the tendency of getting sticked to the container. Close the lid and then keep stirring till it gets dry.
- Now add red chili powder and stir well.
- Add chicken and mix thoroughly and close the lid, let it cook for 10-15 minutes but do not forget to keep stirring in between. Let it cook till it leaves the oil.
- Add 5 cups of water and mix it well and add chopped coriander and mint leaves. Add whole green chillies and spices;mix well.
- Add the potatoes and close the lid and let it cook on high flame for 10 minutes and then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander and mint leaves.Serve hot.
Note: Spices mentioned here, is the grinded powder of cinnamon, cardamom , cloves and caraway seeds.Cinnamon 10 grams(2 tbsp), Cardamom 15 grams(2 tbsp), Caraway seeds or Shahzeera 10 grams (2 tbsp) and Cloves 8 in quantity. Use the required quantity and store the remaining powder for next use.