Idli is a name given to steamed cakes which are prepared by grinding split black gram and rice cream. It can be served as a snack or even main dish; in either way, it is easy to prepare and extremely healthy.
- 2 cup Idli rava (Cream of rice)
- 1 cup Urad Dal(Split Black Gram)
- 1 tsp Salt
- Rinse and soak the above ingredients in water for about 6 hours.Then grind urad dal split in a blender by adding little water.Remove in a bowl.
- Next grind the idli rava by squeezing out the water .Mix in both the grinded mixture, add salt and keep it aside to ferment for 12 hours.
- After fermentation if you find the batter too thick just add water for the desired consistency.
- To make the idlis,coat the idli plates with oil and spread the mixture over the entire mould.
- Heat 1-2 cups of water in the idli steamer vessel or pressure cooker and place the filled idli plates and cover with lid. Cook at medium-high heat for about 20 minutes.
- To check whether the idlis are done,prick a toothpick or fork. Once done remove the idlis.
- Serve hot it with sambar and coconut chutney.