Great tasting homemade onion rings!With this recipe you will have perfect super-crispy,crunchy onion rings every time.
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch or Cornflour
- 2 tbsp dry potato flakes/instant mashed potatoes-optional
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or red chill powder or to taste
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs, or as needed
- 2 cups Oil for frying
- 2 Large Onions, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices and separated into rings
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper powder-optional
- 1 cup Water
- Whisk together flour, cornflour,red chill powder,salt and baking powder in a large bowl. Whisk in water to make a smooth batter.
- Place panko bread crumbs in a shallow bowl.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or large saucepan.
- Place a few onion rings at a time into the bowl of batter and turn to coat all sides with batter.
- Remove onion rings from batter and place into pan of panko bread crumbs; turn to coat completely with crumbs.
- Cook a few rings at a time in the hot oil until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack set over paper towels to drain.
- If you do not add salt to batter so season with salt to taste and serve.
Optional-You can add chilled Club Soda(club soda is basically Seltzer, Carbonated Water, Sparkling water) instead of water to make the batter and do not add baking powder.