Sweetened Apricot is a very popular dessert and is very common in Wedding ceremony.I usually make this simple and delicious delicacy on special occasions. Try this; I am sure you will love it.
- ½ Cup Dried Apricots (Qubani)
- 1 cup Sugar or to taste
- Warm water
- 2 Crushed Green Cardamom
- Lemon juice-optional
- Saffron threads-optional
- For Garnishing:
- Blanched almonds (Badam) to garnish (optional only if using pitted Apricots)
- 1 pinch Saffron threads (optional)
- Apricot Nuts
- Whipped cream or Thick cream/ Vanilla Ice Cream / Custard for serving
- Wash and soak the dried apricots overnight in a deep bowl with surplus water so that the water covers them by about 2 inches.
- The next day, slit the sides of the swelled up apricots to remove their seeds and keep them aside in a cup.
- Put the slit apricots into a large non-reactive saucepan with the soaking liquid. Let it cook on medium heat for about 20-30 minutes or until the apricots are very soft. Add more hot boiling water if needed.
- Once done, let it cool down. (You can even pressure cook for speedy cooking).
- Meanwhile, crack open the apricots kernels using a nut cracker and soak the badam or nuts in a cup of water to loosen their skin.
- Once the apricots are cool, pour half or the whole of it into a blender container and blend till pureed.
- Pour the pureed apricots and the other half of the cooked apricots back into the saucepan and let it cook.
- Add sugar,few drops of lemon juice,cardamon powder and saffron and cook for 10 minutes until it has become thick in consistency.
- Remove the skin of the soaking apricot nuts or badam. This should be pretty easy as they have been soaking.
- Garnish with the badam/nuts or blanched almonds,or the saffron threads.
- Serve it chilled with whipped cream or custard or with a dollop of vanilla ice cream on top.