Khichdi a simple rice dish prepared with rice,lentil and some spices that can be served anytime.
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1 medium Onion sliced
- fried onion (optional for garnish)
- 1/2 cup Split Yellow lentils (Moong Dal)/Red lentils (Toor Dal)
- 2 cups of Water
- 2 tbsp Ginger and Garlic paste
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin seeds (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Coriander and Mint leaves
- In a large non-stick saucepan add oil at medium heat, add onion,ginger and garlic paste stir for 5-10 minutes to golden brown.
- Then pour water,salt and turmeric powder and let it come to a boil.Then add rice and yellow/red lentils,coriander and mint leaves.
- Give it a stir, cover and let the rice cook while stirring occasionally.
- Lower the heat and leave until the rice is cooked. Remove from the heat.Garnish with fried onion.
- Served with Tomato chutney, Aloo kheema,omelet,Till ka khatta,Onion Khatta.