Kebabs ,Koftas and Shikampur are extremely mouth watering and succulent made from mutton mince and split bengal gram dal. I learnt this recipe from my mom-in-law.She prepares great food,much to learn from her.This is my first recipe post from India.Though this recipe is time-consuming, it is worth the effort.
Ingredients for making Kebab,Koftas,Shikampur:
- 1/2 kg Minced Mutton or Kheema/Boneless Mutton
- 1 cup Split Bengal Gram Dal or Channa Dal
- 3 Onions-chopped
- 8-10 Garlic pods
- 5 Green chillies
- 2 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 cup Water
- 1/4 cup raw Coconut-chopped
- whole Garam Masala-Shahzeera,Cardamon,Cloves,Cinnamon
- Coriander and Mint leaves
- 2 Onions-very finely chopped
- 3 Green chillies-very finely chopped
- 2 Lemon or lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Red chili powder
- Coriander and Mint leaves-very finely chopped
- Oil-for deep fry
- For Coating- 2 beaten Eggs and Breadcrumbs-optional
- Wash mince and drain thoroughly.Set aside 1/4th of raw minced meat which will be used later.Clean and boil channa dal with quarter cup of water in a vessel.
- Pressure cook the rest of the minced meat mixed with boiled channa dal and other ingredients onion,garlic,green chillies,coriander and mint leaves,salt,red chili powder,turmeric with 1 1/2 cup water for two whistles.
- And then cook on medium heat for 2 minutes before reducing to low heat until all the water evaporates,is completely dry and the meat and dal is cooked.Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Next first blend the chopped coconut and whole garam masala and then add raw minced meat and blend it again in a mixer till it’s dry and not sticky.
- Now to the blended mixture add the cooked minced mixture and blend to a paste and then knead it like a dough.Shape into round patties or diamond shape to make kebabs or round shape balls for koftas.
- In a non-stick pan add oil at medium heat then swallow fry the kebabs in hot oil.
- Let it fry both the sides until it is golden brown, about 3-5 minutes.
- In a small bowl chopped onion,coriander leaves,mint leaves and green chillies,yogurt(optional). Then add lemon juice,salt and red chili powder and mix it well.
- Then take a small ball mixture of minced mutton paste,make it flat on your palm,now take a tbsp of mixture on it (center) and cover the mutton paste and shape flatten round patties to make a shikampur Kebab.
- Pre-heat a griddle adding 2 tbsp of oil/ghee and shallow fry kebabs at a time.Let them cook on low heat to medium heat.Flip over and brown both sides till golden brown.
- You can also dip the shikampur kebabs in the egg wash and then breadcrumbs and then shallow fry.
- Remove from the heat, serve hot with any chutney,Khati dal,parathas.
Note-Do not add ginger and garlic paste as it will make the kebabs sticky and do apply little oil to the palms before making patties.